Re: [rp-ml] QuickParts online quoting (patent 7305367)

From: Javier Munguia/UPC <Javier.Munguia_at_upc.edu>
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 11:02:05 EEST

But how long does it take to get accurate quotes? I´ve seen technicians at
some labs waiting until 5pm to completely pack the build chamber so as to
offer lower prices. Even if online quoting isn't 100% accurate if you can
get to correlate your "propietary formula" with your real final production
cost then you have an advantage.
But that's true there's a scary difference between prices quoted online by
different sources. Why should prices change if production time is
unattended and machine & materials costs are almost globaly uniform? (maybe
that's another discussion).
We´re developing a NN based system to achieve realistic estimates for RM
based on very basic part info, although we dont even think of patenting. If
I´m not mistaken at least in europe, software, bussines models,
methodologies and similars are not prone to be patented. Therefore maybe,
the materialise system wouldn´t `ve been able to apply for one.

Interesting thread, if you don´t mind I'll include some comment I´ve
collected for my thesis work :)

Javier