Re: [rp-ml] QuickParts online quoting (patent 7305367)

From: Brock Hinzmann <bhinzmann_at_sric-bi.com>
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 00:39:02 EEST

Todd, et al,

I found a reference in the August 1996 issue of a newsletter I was
writing then, which refers to a visit I made to Metalcast Engineering,
which was taking automated orders over the Internet. Regular customers
left CAD files on Metalcast's Web site and received an automated quote
that was expected to be within a certain range of the actual price they
were charged. So it seems Metalcast was close to accurate and obviously
already had some way of providing an automated quote. However, in the
same article I noted an RP-ML discussion in which several participants
apparently complained that they did not have a reliable method for
calculating what to charge their customers, whether they were internal
or external customers. Therefore, if you are searching for further
discussions of the topic on the RP-ML, in which someone claimed to have
an accurate method, you might begin your search of the archives in 1996
and go forward.

best regards,
Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator