RE: [rp-ml] Slow growth

From: Adrian Bowyer <A.Bowyer_at_bath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 13:27:41 EEST

Quoting Marshall Burns <ListMail@fabbers.com>:

> There's a guy from this RP community at a UK university whose name
> escapes me at the moment

Rupert Soar at Loughborough.

> who did a project in an African desert some years
> ago where they encapsulated and physically sliced a termite mound to
> digitize its structure.
>
> The idea of coordinating the actions of thousands or millions of
> autonomous microrobots to pick up tiny pieces of some raw material and
> deposit it in patterns to build up predetermined structures is one of the
> ultimate concepts in digital fabrication. I look forward to seeing some
> people pick up and implement this idea.

Modesty prevents my saying who first had the idea of constructing
using termite robots, but there's a clue at this page:

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ensab/B_man/tr_11_00/

I think that was one of the things that got Rupert working in this area.

Best wishes

Adrian

Dr Adrian Bowyer
http://staff.bath.ac.uk/ensab