Re: [rp-ml] Slow growth

From: Brock Hinzmann <bhinzmann_at_sric-bi.com>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 08:53:28 EEST

Dear Adrian,

Yours is not an inconceivable application of existing and relatively
near-term technologies. A number of robot art projects exist that do
essentially what you propose. I only wish I had a paying client to put
it all together.

First of all, your idea to combine it with Marshall's Moon concept is
brilliant. A robot that has all of the time in the world to trek across
a planet (Mars and Venus also come to mind), powered by very low levels
of solar radiation, able to work slowly, tediously, but predictably, in
a space and time that no human would or could tolerate, has tremendous
economical advantages. We can also imagine applications here on Earth.

I have even seen concepts where a living plant shifts its weight in
response to the position of the sun, in order to create enough pressure
for a pedal, like a footfall on a bicycle, to move a robot forward. We
are talking really slow progress here, a foot a day, but a robot doesn't
care.

If we are talking about preparing a far-off planet for some eventual
human occupation, then we may not care about slowly the robots work to
prepare an infrastructure, such as a solar-powered communications
network, as long as it progresses at a predictable rate. If the space
agencies could send robots well in advance, such a network could have a
variety of scientific research and environmental evaluation applications
that would be valuable, whether or not a human team is eventually sent
to live there.

Vast sections of Earth, deserts, outbacks, etc., could serve as testing
grounds of more immediate value. While many of these might be of social
benefit, the money to pay for them is limited. I have had some thoughts
recently that alternative financing methods are possible, such as
environmentally-concerned individuals willing to pay money to support
poor remote rural individuals to install and monitor [robots, in this
case, and] networks or the use of carbon credits or other alternative
currency/money systems to trade service for service or other values.
Perhaps Adrian has other contacts in the open-source world that are more
creative than I am in this regard.

Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator