Re: [rp-ml] Fwd: Casting of UV Curable resins in Clear RTV

From: <EdGrenda_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 17:54:11 EEST

In a message dated 4/25/2008 8:38:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ChathamRes@aol.com writes:

We made a few experiments with casting parts by using a UV Curable SOMOS
resin in a mold made of Reynolds Sorta Clear silicone. The process appears to
work reasonably well when we use sunlight to provide the UV energy.

This may sound like an expensive way to make a casting, but it has several
advantages if you are trying to reconstruct a master pattern from a mold.

We were wondering if anyone on the list has tried a similar process?

Doug

Hi Doug:

This is a fairly common process and is often called "optical molding" or
variations on that theme. It seems to be used pretty often for high-value items
such as contact lenses, and at least in the patent literature, Japanese
companies are frequent practitioners.

Ed

Ed Grenda
Castle Island Co.
_EdGrenda@aol.com_ (mailto:EdGrenda@aol.com) (email)

The Worldwide Guide to Rapid Prototyping
http://home.att.net/~castleisland/

listings at AOL Autos.