Re: [rp-ml] Slow growth

From: Stewart Dickson <mathart_at_emsh.calarts.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 20:48:52 EEST

Yes, I would have to agree with you.

Some developing countries have skipped from no telephone to
all-wireless, because cellular systems are less expensive to
deploy than land-line systems.

In the famous case of the Indian service industry -- low-cost,
international telephony is making this possible -- but, they
are skipping over manufacturing in the process. And still, most of the
population is left out of this.

China is a similar, vexing example. Reports I have heard indicate that
they are not working smarter unless only to duplicate a
piece of foreign-developed technology. In the words of a French-Iranian
-- "It's not industry, it's mass-production."
Meaning that masses of cheap laborers are available to make everything
essentially by hand.

Alan Greenspan says in "The Age of Turbulence" that it takes essentially
thirty years for a new piece of technology to substantially alter the
means of manufacturing in general. That is about the rate of advance of
"creative destruction" -- tearing down old paradigms to make way for
the new.

-Stewart http://us.imdb.com/Name?Stewart+Dickson
Visualization Research Programmer, Integrated Systems Laboratory
http://www.isl.uiuc.edu/~sdickson
4355 Beckman Institute, 405 N Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801
+1(217)333-3923
http://emsh.calarts.edu/~mathart/MathArt_siteMap.html