Re: [rp-ml] QuickParts online quoting (patent 7305367)

From: Kevin Adams <k.adams_at_therm-u-form.com>
Date: Sun Apr 20 2008 - 02:44:13 EEST

Hi Todd,

  Notice on their patent abstract, they satae "online or offline".

  While I am not sure of anyone doing this online earlier than 2000, it seems pretty obviuos that the steps they outline are pretty much what most service bureaus have always done offline.

  Seems that with enough money and persistance anything can be pushed through the USPTO. Back in the early 1980s the "combover" was patented, though the assignees have never tried to enforce it.

  I believe I ran across an online system prior to Quickparts, but just cant recall who it was. Anyone with a better memory than me recall anything???

  Kevin Adams
  G.M.S.C.

Todd Pederzani <tpederzani@protocam.com> wrote:
  Has QuickParts sued anyone over their patent on online quoting (Patent
7305367)? They applied for the patent on Dec 13, 2000, but it was only
granted on Dec 4, 2007. Were there any instant online quoting systems
that predate that December 2000 date? How is this even patentable?

Would anyone using STLquote or other online quoting systems like to
chime in on the matter?

--
Todd Pederzani tpederzani@protocam.com
ProtoCAM Information Technology