[rp-ml] retrofit desktop printers

From: Bernard Bryce <bernard_at_precisioncast.ie>
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 20:28:57 EET

Interesting Thread:
Just an idea on the software side...
Turbocnc will control 8 axis of simultaneous movement... (it generates step
and direction pulses from the parallel port, and is usually used to control
the x y and z axis of cnc milling machines( usually with 5 of the 8 fully
'interpolated channels' unused)

If you were to use Turbocnc to directly control the steppers/servos in the
printer or a plotter for x and y, you could use the step pulses of other
channels to trigger the pulses to the jets. Because of the in-built
interpolation, you wouldn't have to worry about synchronising the
acceleration/deceleration ramps with the jet pulses. It would happen
automatically (assuming the correct g-code is written).

This system might be more suitable for running the printer more like a
plotter, i.e. running one jet at a time.

Expanding on the idea of running multiple jets... Without modifying
Turbocnc, you could run 6 or 7 jets at a time printing lines (like a normal
inkjet). The source code is available for trubocnc, so perhaps it could be
modified to run more 'channels'. Alternatively multiplexing the output
might be an option (eg 2 banks of 6 to run the 12 jets of the 51604A). The
maximum pulse frequency of the 51604A is only 625Hz. Turbocnc can pulse at
20Khz+.

Somehow I like the idea of running a 3d printer, through the parallel port,
where the main control element is an old DOS PC!!

Bernard Bryce,
Custom
Ireland