RE: [rp-ml] Stratasys models for investment casting

From: David K. Leigh <dkleigh_at_harvest-tech.com>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 21:56:43 EET

Sorry for getting complex on a simple question. . .

Polycarbonate is an amorphous material (as is ABS) and is usually used
in the "real world" as a 100% dense injected molded/machined plastic.
The FDM process typically "likes" amorphous materials. The SLS process
works much better with crystalline materials.

What does this mean? Well, SLS can process polycarb, but doesn't
typically get it close to 100% density. There is currently no real way
to get a standard polycarb part with the potential for optical clarity
in an RP process.

David K. Leigh | Rapid Prototyping and Production Services

Harvest Technologies | 1000 Industrial Park Rd. | Belton | TX | 76513

Phone: 254.933.1000 | Fax: 254.298.0125

www.harvest-tech.com | "Where Innovation Takes Shape"