Re: [rp-ml] Stratasys models for investment casting

From: Kevin Adams <k.adams_at_therm-u-form.com>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 18:10:30 EET

A couple weeks ago, there were questions related to doing investment casting from FDM parts.

  During my years at Stratasys, I did see some examples of parts cast from FDM masters. So, it is possible.

  My experience with it is that it was very geometry and process dependent. Preparing an FDM model to achive good results requires finishing and sealing the model to prevent your slurry from seeping into the part (typically, FDM parts have some porosity).

  As J. Irvin mentioned, shelling is also very important, as you want to create a burnout that will not have a chance to expand before it burns.

  If your objective is to prove it can be done, the answer is yes. If you are looking for a good way to do investment casting masters, there are probably many more cost effective solutions.

  Kevin Adams
  G.M.S.C.