Re: [rp-ml] 3D Printing of Video Game Characters

From: Terry Wohlers (tw@wohlersassociates.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 17:10:45 EET

Hi Brock,

You are right: there are technical issues associated with model preparation that could adversely impact a high volume, low margin business, such as this. FigurePrints will need to streamline the process and I'm sure that Ed Fries and his staff are working diligently on it.

How quickly will it take off? FigurePrints/Blizzard and Electronic Arts (likely next year) will motivate Microsoft, Sony, LucasArts, Ubisoft, Activision, Nintendo, and others to follow. In the short term, the challenge will be to fine-tune the file processing and part finishing steps, and then build capacity. FigurePrints will need to turn the jobs more quickly. I suspect that many customers will not wait 30-60 days.

Regards,

Terry