Re: [rp-ml] Investment casting

From: John Eric Voltin (jevoltin@agile-technology.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 22:03:40 EET

Bill,

I previously worked for a shop that ran several SLS machines. We
routinely made CastForm patterns for investment casting, including some
precision projects. We did this mostly for prototyping, but also for low
volume production purposes. It was more cost effective than making a tool
for wax patterns when the production volume was only 100 parts or so.

 - John

> I'm looking at the possibility of using a 3d printer to directly
> produce waxes for investment casting for low volume production.
>
> Has anyone any experience of doing this?
>
> What machines would people recommend and are there any potential
> problem I should be aware of?
>
> --
> Bill Bedford
>
> "Nothing is as important as model railways and even that isn't very
> important"
>
> -some wiseguy somewhere

 - John

John Eric Voltin