Re: [rp-ml] 3D Data for mannequin

From: Stewart Dickson (mathart@emsh.calarts.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 01:37:41 EET

Poser would be the first step -- but it is doubtful that Poser
characters are STL-buildable.
You would likely need to go through a re-mesher afterward of some sort
-- like Geomagic or Materialise.
Note that most Poser characters are also proprietary and
copyright-protected.
Two that I know of have been released to the public domain: Maya Doll Basic
http://www.3digitalcrafts.net/studiomaya ->
http://www.3digitalcrafts.net/studiomaya/1download/mdb/index.html
And Apollo Maximus:
http://www.antonkisieldesigns.com/~akfiles/htmlpages/ApolloMaximusFree3dhumanfigure.htm

These models are in a form which can be imported into animation packages
other than Poser, such as 3D Studio Max and Autodesk Maya. Then you are
faced with rigging the character and refining the joint smoothing. You
can ultimately go farther in terms of quality in Maya or 3DS Max than
you can in Poser -- and you would likely want to use
3DS or Maya to fix the surfaces which are not STL-buildable.

-Stewart Dickson, http://us.imdb.com/Name?Stewart+Dickson
Visualization Research Programmer, Integrated Systems Laboratory
http://www.isl.uiuc.edu/~sdickson
4355 Beckman Institute, 405 N Mathews Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801
(217)333-3923
http://emsh.calarts.edu/~mathart/MathArt_siteMap.html