Re: [rp-ml] resin/wax for lost wax casting

From: Adrian Bowyer (A.Bowyer@bath.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2007 - 14:41:01 EEST

Quoting Sanspareilics@aol.com:

> Does anyone make a pouring resin that burns out cleanly.
>
> Alternatively how thin a section ca I go down to for pouring wax under
> vacuum.
>
> For example I have a model with a wall thickness of about 0.75mm-1.0mm which
> is fine and dandy but I want to have a rebate (think of a window frame)
> which will leave a wall thickness of about 0.25mm. It only extends
> about 0.25mm
> all round from the full wall thickness to allow an insert (like the glass in
> the window frame) to locate. I will be using a vacuum casting machine.

You may want to try polyethylene glycol. It's wax-like at room
temperature and melts around 60 C to a liquid with watery viscosity.
It's used in laxatives, sexual lubricants, toothpaste and skin creams,
so there are no health and safety issues. It should be all right in a
vacuum, though I've never tried it. However, if the vacuum is just to
eliminate bubbles, the low viscosity when molten will probably do that
at 1 bar.

And it dissolves in water...

Best wishes

Adrian