[rp-ml] File Formats and Planar Mesh

From: Jonathan Chertok (Universal Joint) (chertok@universaljointdesign.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 18:16:21 EEST

Hi All.

We'd be grateful for references to any sources that can shed light on
the technical information in 3D file format descriptions (dxf, stl, vrml
etc). In particular I'd be interested in knowing what, if any,
parameters control how the four points of a mesh in space are oriented
in the file format itself.

Am I correct in assuming that the software has absolute control in terms
of generating 3D mesh and that there are no translation issues when
reading mesh files?

How would one take a peek under the hood of say a mathematical modeling
program's dxf generation as compared to say Rhino's or Materializes?

Also, is stl composed of triangular meshes without exception (i.e. do
two adjacent and coplanar facets ever collapse into one) and what are
the current controls (say in V4) over the sizing of the triangular facets?

Thanks,

Jonathan

--
Universal Joint Design Associates