RE: [rp-ml] Colour STL files?

From: Ian Gibson <mpegi_at_nus.edu.sg>
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 04:23:19 EET

Well, before you fall off your high horse:-

- Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
- The world is full of stupid standards (does anyone really think
DVDs are any good?), those that prevail are those that get used most
- not those that are most sensible
- Aside from the detailed description regarding the misinterpretation
of the stl format (very interesting by the way - I wasn't aware there
was that much thought put into it), you're not telling us anything
the majority of us don't already know. I recall a debate over 10
years back lambasting the stl 'standard' from the perspective of
direct slicing.
- Maybe 'modified' or 'misinterpreted' are better words than
'abused'. As far as I know you are correct, the process was along the
lines of your discussion that someone thought the two bytes were
'spare', with no obvious intended use.
- Incidentally, isn't colour an attribute?
- My recollection on the colour coding of stl (and I could be wrong
here) is that one was developed by a lab in Japan, whilst the other
came from a lab in Europe (Holland, I think). Note that both of these
hailed from labs, where people are generally more interested in what
they, themselves are doing rather than adhering to software standards.
- stl is described as a defacto standard for a reason. I know, it's
horrible, but since it will only take 2 minutes of your time why
don't you jot something down on the back of an envelope and see if it
will still be used in 20 years time?
- Why don't you also have a go at those who defined two colour
standards (RGB and BGR) as well? Where did RGB come from anyway? At
least BGR is alphabetically correct.

Anyway, colour stl is fundamentally flawed because the triangles are
supposed to represent geometry, not colour. So other than it being an
interesting 'oddity', why should people spend so much effort in
defining it as a standard? As far as I know it was just there to show
people that it could be done.

IG

Dr. Ian Gibson
Associate Prof.