Re: [rp-ml] Desktop Factory

From: steve <sjbaker1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 14:26:09 EEST

Brock Hinzmann wrote:
> Sebastien Bailard wrote:
>
>>> I'd like something like debian or wikipedia. We'll see.
>>

> You might get something more like YouTube.

So you have to endure adverts in order to get the data
you need? Well, that's certainly possible.

Something has to fund the service - there are several
successful models for that:

* YouTube -- Funded by adverts.
* Wikipedia -- Funded by charitable contributions.
* TurboSquid -- Funded by a 'tax' on the sale of some of the data.

All three provide at least some 'free' content.

Probably, all three business models could work for CAD data.