[rp-ml] Highest aspect ratio part from an RP/RM machine?

From: Wesley Brooks <wesbrooks_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 16:55:37 EEST

Dear RP-ML Subscribers,

A recent build here at the University of Liverpool on our MCP SLM Realizer 2
has yielded some very impressive parts. The parts in question where not the
main reason for the build, and I haven't spent any time optimising the
settings to build lattice parts on this machine. As it happens this is my
first build on the new machine which that was delivered about a month ago.

Please feel free to have a look at the pictures on the website bellow, I
think they may qualify for one of the highest aspect ratio parts built on an
RP machine. They are 101mm long and between 100 and 200 microns diameter.
I'll get some SEM pictures sorted early next week and add them to the page
to confirm / back this up. The build material is gas atomised 316L stainless
steel supplied by Sandvik Osprey, and the layer thickness was 50 microns.

pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~wkb

Given the time for another build (...and a reason to do so!) I feel that
these structures could have been built higher. 100mm is by no means a limit,
it's just the height of the other parts in the build and their support
structures.

This work was carried out at MSERC (Manufacturing Science and Engineering
Research Centre) at the University of Liverpool run by Dr. Chris Sutcliffe.

Yours Faithfully,

Wesley Brooks