Re: [rp-ml] algorithm&implementation for STL slicing

From: Roy Pardi <lists_at_roypardi.com>
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 02:01:29 EEST

At 4:25 PM -0400 8/17/06, Sebastien Bailard wrote:
>For raw 3D structured light scan to stl , there is some open source software
>called http://splinescan.co.uk/ . (This is the opposite of what you are
>asking for, as far as I can tell.) It is GPL'ed python code.

Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for all the info! Splinescan looks interesting and fun - I may have
to give that a try.

>Roy - what materials are you working in? You may be able to use our extrusion
>head along with the control software:
>http://reprapdoc.voodoo.co.nz/bin/view/Main/Version2OfThePolymorphExtrusionHead

I've been aware of Reprap but didn't realize or look closely at the
software part of the project. have to take a closer look. My materials?
Well... this is a 'for art' project so I have been looking at various
materials which flow and then harden - slurries of clay, etc. I was
thinking about wax but wanted to avoid the complexity of a heating element.
For a 'print head' I have been tinkering with building a peristaltic pump -
the idea being that with that I can deposit a measured amount of material
that is fairly viscous and it seemed a simple way to do it. It's all in the
testing/failing stages now.

I'm assuming (and hoping) that this will be a functional "expressive" 3
printer - along the lines of Giacometti type forms. I think I can get a
fair degree of precision in placing the material- and the material will
slump and distort in unpredictable ways. The art/sculpture "part" of this
is both the machine as it's working and the forms it creates.

--Roy

--
Studio Blog: http://www.roypardi.com/
Exhibit Announcements: http://www.roypardi.com/announce.htm