RE: [rp-ml] SLS vs SL for small part / small feature capability / accuracy.

From: Steve Stewart <steve_at_protogenic.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 2006 - 19:22:46 EEST

Ron,

I believe Scott was asking about contrasting just the two sintering
machines/processes. All I can tell you is that in a "head-to-head"
comparison of both 3D's machine and EOS's machine, both using virgin
powder, we were not able to discern any significant difference in the
detail built. Both built far better than we expected, but of course not
as detailed as SLA or Eden.

The nominal "laser spot size" for beam compensation purposes on our EOS
P385 is .023". As you know, this isn't really the size of the beam, but
the size of the smallest dot you can make, as the powder tends to
coalesce.

-Steve Stewart
Protogenic, Inc.