Re: [rp-ml] Looking for platform support of stl files

From: Adrian Bowyer <A.Bowyer_at_bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 12:13:26 EEST

Chris Elliott wrote:
> I've been asked to expand on what I'm trying to. Basically I'm looking
> into feature extraction from mesh models (stl files in this case) for
> FDM components. To do so, I need a package with a API that allows me to
> gain access to the mesh's date (via a data structure of some kind). I
> know for stl files this is more involved than with vrml files since the
> topology of the mesh is not saved within the file structure.

Well - Java 3D allows the reading of binary and ascii STL files into its Shape3D
class (rather, to be strictly accurate, into its Scene class, from which it is
trivial to extract a Shape3D instance). You can then use Java and the tools in
Java3D to manipulate and to explore that (and to render it, of course).

See

http://code.j3d.org/javadoc/org/j3d/renderer/java3d/loaders/STLLoader.html

Yours

Adrian