RE: [rp-ml] Headed to South Carolina; 3D Systems is moving its HQ...

From: David K. Leigh (dkleigh@harvest-tech.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 19:49:30 EET

Relocation of 3D Systems has been a topic since they purchased DTM. It did
not make since for a company the size of 3D to operate 3 major plants in
Valencia, Grand Junction, and Austin.

The first step was to consolidate all business and sales operations to
Valencia. They then consolidated all equipment and service to Grand
Junction. For those of us near Austin, that seemed an odd choice due to the
level of expertise in the Austin area and its reputation for a highly
skilled workforce. In the end, Austin was shut down and a small office was
retained. There was more at work in the decision to keep Grand Junction
then maybe some may have been aware of.

With new management, cost cutting is always a goal and the operation of a
business in southern California is very hard to justify. Arizona, New
Mexico, and Texas have been the traditional beneficiaries of a migration of
businesses out of California. 3D management has been looking at relocation
from the beginning. Many in the industry probably felt Austin was a logical
step to move some of the operations. The satellite office there has moved
back into the DTM building and there is a relationship with the Univ. of
Texas regarding SLS.

There is no doubt that South Carolina will be inexpensive and there is an
educated workforce nearby in Raleigh/Durham area. It probably boiled down
to the familiarity of the current management group with that area.

David K. Leigh (254)933-1000
Harvest Technologies fax(254)298-0125
Rapid Prototyping Services dkleigh@harvest-tech.com