RE: [rp-ml] Rough Z-Corp Finish

From: Alex Do (do@oxy.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 04:44:41 EEST

Striping is a common problem in the 402(c). Crumbly parts are usually
coincident with striping.

I recommend regular replacement intervals for both the head and the carriage
in a 402 ... Especially if you are in color mode you will need to replace
these more often. How often depends on how much you run it but I replace
the heads every two months and the carriage every 6-7 months. To save the
cost of troubleshooting (labor ain't cheap) I change the head at the first
sign of striping and then the carriage. The head takes 5 minutes (reboot
time) and the carriage takes 20. If this doesn't solve it I would try the
binder filter but that's not as common.

These classic (i.e. old and fussy) machines suffer from a terrible amount of
inertia ... It takes a while to get it up and running, but once it's going
if you can keep jobs coming it will run well. The longer you wait between
jobs (esp. weeks) the more problems you will have with this machine.

By the way, as I'm sure you may have noticed you can purchase color heads
from Office depot or the like as Canon BC-21e and print carriage assemblies
from PartsNow in Madison, WI. You can find their info online and the phone
number is 800-886-6688

The part numbers for the carriage are:
Carriage Assy QG5-1079-040
Carriage Belt QB1-0991
Belt Clip QB1-2250

I don't want to list the prices (as I'm not really an authorized seller) but
you'll find that they are much less than if you get them directly from
Z-Corp.

~alex