[rp-ml] A lot of questions..

From: Guillermo Theus (getheus@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 19:47:45 EEST

Dear list

I´m an Argentine man (excuse my bad english) who the crisis push to search other horizons, I´m living now at Málaga, Spain. I had in Buenos Aires a little enterprise dedicated to medical equipment, now I´m working in architectural servicies. I use Autocad both at 2D and 3D to translate architectural planes into files for laser cutting or STL to build scale models.

Please let me say a little word especially to the friends from USA : think at everyone who need to deal with english!! In this list I see people from a lot of countries: India, Turkey, Brazil, Uruguay, and so on, please think that you often use a lot of colloquial words we never found in a dictionary, e.g. what means “watchacamallitis”?? Perhaps if sometimes appear between brackets a little explanation on such words... Even so, let me vote on terminology:

RP shows still working (look at these list name), perhaps it became inexactly.

3D printing I feel is a term that quickly approachs this tech to people that is not in manufacturers field (think at people you meet that ignores yet wath is CNC milling), it describes well the desktop, cheaper machines.

Additive manufacturing. I vote for it looking ahead, it likes a more comprehensive description of these processes.

More than eleven years ago I feel interested in the posibilities of RP technologies, we made then a little piece in a SLA machine. I´m an “amateur” in this field, now I´m working in architectural scale modelling, making several projects through service bureaus in different technologies. It´s a hobby for me think at better and cheaper methods on 3D printing, for this I want to make to the list a few questions:

I read some about studies on the use of a photopolimer film, instead to be cut by a knife or a laser, exposed trough a lcd screen that project the corresponding shape onto the last layer. An other approach could be the projection of the layer shape trough a lcd cannon, always thinking in avoid the XY scan over the film. Perhaps this method has the trouble of the light dispersion on borders, and the precise control of the depth of polimerization.

Does somebody knows if exists a photopolimer that meets these requirements? It should be inexpensive and easily to remove in a solvent, thinking always in a stack of sheets to avoid support structures, then we need to remove easily the waste material.

Another idea: if we have a polimer film that needs a little of catalyzer to activate polimerization (or photo activated pol.), we could use a kind of photocopier cylinder to spread a black powder (like a toner) that contents the catalyzer. If exists a powder than itself polimerizate the exact shape of the layer, wonderful! Then we don´t need light..

If we need light (UV or visible), a black catalyzer powder spread over a transparent film would help to avoid the polimerization through previous layers, moreover than we only need an illumination over the whole layer, instead a XY scan over the layer´s shape. Excuse me if I don´t know well the state of the art, take this words like a friendly chat with an ignorant guy.

Best regards

Guillermo Theus

Málaga - España

Yahoo! for Good
 Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert