[rp-ml] The demand side

From: Marshall Burns (MB-ListMail2@Ennex.com)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 17:32:40 EEST

> Someone needs to be able to articulate the
> demand side a little better, though. If we need physical
> objects, we can already manufacture them by mass
> production means in pretty high volumes, to the extent
> that we have overflowing garbage dumps. What is the stuff
> you will make with fabbing that that we really need that
> we can't make with exisitng technology?

               Well, let me see, there was this guy some years ago who wrote
a poem about that. Check it out at
http://www.ennex.com/~fabbers/publish/199600-Brock-PersonalFactory.asp#Sct_I
fIHad.

> What are the exact
> social benefits that fabbing gives us? Someone needs to
> define that in a detailed study.

               Brock, Ennex will be happy to do a study for you. But save
your money. What kind of study would you have done to convince Ken Olsen
there was a market for home computers? What kind of study could you have
done in 1992 to show whether anyone would use Mosaic (the first graphical
Web browser)?

               Of all the mind-boggling experiences in my life, the most
bewildering is when I explain to people that in the long-term vision, a
fabber is a machine that will make whatever you want, and then they say,
"And what would you use that for?" Can you say, "Duh?"

               I can imagine walking around in ancient Arabia with this
magic lantern. I go to the market and tell people that the Genie inside will
grant them three wishes - anything they want, what will they give me for the
lamp? But they say, "I don't need wishes, I need some carrots and a goat
shank."

               Sigh.

Best regards,

Marshall Burns