Re: [rp-ml] Nano/fabber politics

From: Matt Ellis (matt.ellis@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 23:40:55 EEST

Hi Brock and Marshall,

Regarding the supply side argument - it takes more than just having the
equipment and the training - I think the technology has to be easier to use.
There must be a "path of least
resistance<http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000560053369/>."
Only enthusiasts would sit down and design an object and then "fab" it when
they could buy it from Amazon. The average person probably does not and will
never have the time or skill to design and "fab" the things they need in
life. One day "Napster
fabbing<http://www.ennex.com/%7Efabbers/publish/200102-Napster.asp>"
may happen but for RP to really become worldchanging it has to be as easy to
use as email or a cellphone. I think this will happen one day - but RP tools
both software and hardware - have a long way to go.