[rp-ml] Nanotech

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric-bi.com)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 06:54:54 EEST

While the NNI was started by the Clinton administration,
make no mistake. It is very popular with both of the major
political parties. The Bush administration has certainly
shown no hesitation in canceling or rolling back any
Clinton policies they didn't like and has increased the
NNI funding substantially. The nanolobbyists argued that
nanotech would have a $1 trillion impact on the U.S.
economy and nobody challenged their numbers. No politician
is going to say no to getting behind that.

Especially, as it turns out, when, much of what gets
funded was being funded already, but wasn't called
nanotechnology. That's actually what ticked some
scientists off, because now they had to rewrite their
proposals to put the word nanotechnology or nanomaterials
in the title. It does mean a change for the way businesses
thinks about what business they are in. Thinking about
designing and manufacturing materials from the nanoscale
up changes things. Thinking about electronics in terms of
the entire periodic table is different. And much of
biotechnology that will be different will have to do with
nanotechnology. If companies were going to fund that
anyway, then, yes, there's some pork there. But they
aren't going to turn the money down.

The question is, can you make the case that RP or fabbing
will make a $1 trillion difference in the economy.

Brock