RE: [rp-ml] Materials for 3D Printer

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 22:34:18 EEST

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, ben halford wrote:
> You can squeeze and mould it like putty. But
> the material developed by WeiHua Wang, of
> the Institute of Physics in Beijing, and his
> team is not a plastic made from polymers
> - it is a metallic glass that goes soft in
> boiling water.
> Wang's blend of cerium, aluminium and
> copper, with a dash of niobium, is completely
> amorphous.

It sounds interesting, although cerium isn't exactly a health
food...I'm not sure one should spend too much time hand-modeling the
stuff?

> Something else that might be suitable, which I came across courtesy of another list, is this:
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?Criteria=polymorph&doy=9m6
>
> It melts at approx 60 deg and doesn't become adhesive when molten
> (though I have only ever used it in conjunction with the
> manufacturers instructions). I can't really comment on pricing as I
> don't know your definition of expensive.

This sounds much like the craft material "Friendly Plastic", which has
been around for about 15 years. It's probably a bit more affordable than
cerium, especially when bought in bulk.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                                          (831)429-8224
Sculpting geometry                                      www.bathsheba.com