Re: [rp-ml] SLA x SLS

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric-bi.com)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 22:51:57 EEST

I doubt that anyone has the resources to invest in all the
process and material technologies simultaneously that
would be necessary to get one approach to out-compete the
other. Just as it has taken a long time for metal
processing and alloying to evolve, I expect to see RM take
an evolutionary path, as each vendor makes incremental
improvements in processes and additions to their materials
options.

I have had laser scientists tell me it makes less sense to
use a laser as a heat source (SLS) than as a source of a
chemical change (photo-initiated SLA), so I would think
that SLA offers greater options, but in the real world,
business models evolve based on what a given customer is
willing to pay for, not what a scientist says should be.

Also waiting in the wings could be discoveries in
nanomaterial science and self-assembling materials that
could tilt in favor of either appproach, responding to
light or heat or maybe even to some new approach using
magnetics or ultrasound or some new hybrid approach. As
Jim wrote, nothing will stay the same.

Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator
SRI Consulting Business Intelligence