Re: [rp-ml] Subtracting STL objects

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 22:05:08 EEST

On Wed, 11 May 2005, CE Wilson wrote:
> I would like to be able to subtract one STL object from another. Does anyone
> know of a cheap software solution for this?

The GTS library, available at sourceforge.net, is free and has mesh
boolean ops. However it's not trivial to set up; you need a Linux
environment (I used Cygwin) and the ability to compile a large package
with some dependencies.

If you have $800 or so handy, Rhino now has mesh booleans available.
They're not super robust, but they more or less work. Some people
like the NPower plug-in for Rhino, which costs a few hundred extra.
I didn't much care for it, but it does have booleans.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                                          (831)429-8224
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com