[rp-ml] Question from a dinosaur

From: Steve Stewart (steve@protogenic.com)
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 00:34:15 EEST

Hi, all -

I started running our first 250 in 1990, so I believe I qualify as a
dinosaur. I have not had to actually run the machines myself for several
years (since Maestro).

In the olden days, we used to use different ranges of layer thicknesses
within a part. I'm 99% sure that we could run one build style in a given
range in Maestro, then change to a different build style as we proceeded up
the part. So, if I wanted to build .006" layers on a real straight section,
then .003" layers on an area I wanted finer detail on, I could do that
(historical note - we used to use .010" layers and said that was "plenty
good," then went down to .005" if we REALLY wanted detail).

My LightYear-trained guys say this cannot be done. They say only one
build-style is allowed per platform (they agree you can do different recoat
styles, but not build styles).

I'd appreciate your feedback - is this really true? Obviously, I don't have
3D maintenance, or I'd be calling them to ask them....

Thanks,

Steve Stewart

Steve Stewart
steve@protogenic.com
protogenic, inc.
<http://www.protogenic.com/> http://www.protogenic.com
1490 w. 121 ave., suite 101 phone:303-252-0212
westminster, co 80234
fax:303-252-0223

Protogenic - Your design, our commitment