Re: [rp-ml] New machines could turn homes into small factories (My 2 cents..)]

From: Adrian Bowyer (A.Bowyer@bath.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 01:52:24 EET

Quoting Eitan Priluck <eitan@biomodel.com>:

> Adrian I love open source too. Might I suggest if you have not already
> thought of it already that your designs be based around the inkjet
> printer; since those components can be readily purchased brand new for
> as little as US $50-$200. In fact many inkjet parts can be found for
> free if you just ask a colleague or family member for that old or broken
> one sittig in their closet. I think with an inkjet printer as the start
> it might be much easier to find a desighn in which all the parts needed
> to modify the existing inkjet into a 3d printer could be built.
> Furthermore due the prevalance of them it would make it easier to
> enlist hobbyist/linux/opensourcers in order to build a community to move
> the project forward.

I love inkjet-based systems too, but - for my project - I think they suffer from
at least one technical and one legal problem:

1. The manufacturers have started putting counter chips in them to stop them
being re-used. Now, I know that the chips can be zapped, but that just creates
a design arms race. Frankly - too much hassle.

2. There are patents on the MIT system.

Yours

Adrian

http://staff.bath.ac.uk/ensab