Re: [rp-ml] Direct slicing of solid models

From: Markus Hitter (mah@jump-ing.de)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 00:00:37 EET

Am 15.03.2005 um 07:21 schrieb M.Senthil Kumar:

> I am doing the research on Direct slicing of solid models. As per my
> observations,the literature says there is no format available in the
> RP machine's software to access the direct sliced data.

Well, there are a lot of different RP machines coming with a lot of
different software. When experimenting with an SLA250 and it's older
DOS-based software you could read the sliced data as well as building
with modified slices. You could import CLI data as well.

For example, <http://www.wtec.org/loyola/rp/08_05.htm> has a chapter
about 2D slice data formats.

> Could anyone in the group tell me the suggestions for this interface
> with RP machine without .stl format.

Depends on which type of machine you use and why the vendor's slicing
software isn't perfect for you.

I did some experiments with slicing inside CATIA but besides a lot of
hand-work and hours of processing time there wasn't much to win. In
theory, one could do things like adaptive slicing and win vertical
accuracy but then it's a lot easier to build a machine capable of
building thinner layers.

Hope that helps,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter