RE: [rp-ml] FW: Geometric Accuracy of RP parts

From: Good, Jim <Jim.Good_at_tbe.com>
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 16:00:51 EET

Marshall,

I appreciate your interest and your observations. Yes, the inspection
system will be important in the overall system. That is why we are looking
at all the possible hardware that is available. Laser scanners appear to be
the most promising. We will incorporate the scanner into the fabrication
process and it will allow us to monitor the accuracy of the build
layer-by-layer. That is our intent. You are right, we want to have the
ability to make proper corrections, real-time.

Here is our website that will explain a little about what our objectives are
and our vision. I would appreciate any input that may benefit us in our
pursuit of mission exploration. It is an exciting endeavor. Also, if
anyone has any suggestions on how to make this website better, let me know.
It's relatively new, so it will continue to undergo changes. Give me some
feedback and we can incorporate some of your suggestions.
http://est.msfc.nasa.gov/ISFR/ <http://est.msfc.nasa.gov/ISFR/>

I will keep the list updated on our progress. Right now we will take some
sample parts from selected vendors and processes and develop a benchmark.
We are looking at scanners that we can incorporate into the fabricator. We
may try to incorporate more than one process into our system. Lots of
things to look at, but we are only limited by our imagination!

Thanks again for the interest,

Jim

Muniz Engineering Inc.

In Situ Fabrication and Repair (ISFR)