RE: [rp-ml] re: laser cutting

From: Dick Edwards <dick_at_gemvision.com>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 19:19:50 EEST

John,

Acrylic responds very well to the laser process and, when done
correctly, the edge will have a thermal polished appearance. It tends to
be a bit brittle for simple waterjet (no abrasive) processing however
abrasive waterjet (AWJ), although slower than laser, will yield a
frosted or sand blasted edge. My first choice would be laser.

Polycarbonate (Lexan), on the other hand, will yield a charred edge with
laser processing and, in the 1/8" range cuts nicely with simple waterjet
although AWJ will permit faster travel rates.

Surely there are suitable laser shops in the Denver area. However If you
want to go as far as IL for this service I can recommend the following:

Johnson Contracting
2750 Morton Drive
East Moline, IL 61244
309-755-0601