RE: [rp-ml] SLS Powder Life - example situation.

From: David K. Leigh <dkleigh_at_harvest-tech.com>
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 17:36:44 EEST

I think what you have proposed in your SLS hypothetical encyclopedia is a
very valid argument. I think the best way to settle the argument is to run
7 layers of a part, take the part cakes. . . mix them. . .then take a sample
and send it to be tested. At the same time, build a 7 layer tall build,
take the part cake, mix it. . . then see what the melt flow for each one is.
Of course, you'll need to start with the exact same material so your results
will correlate.

My contention on powder handling has always been to aim for a steady state
process. The only way to do this is to either fix your melt flow index or
you can get a close approximation by having a consistent remix rate.
Running powder over and over and over does not result in the best surface
finish, build to build consistency, properties, etc.

But, if I were to guess on the results. I would think the part heater
setpoint will have more effect on the powder degradation than the time it is
heated in the part cake. The reason I say this is that the melt flow index
of powder in the overflow cartridges see about the same drop in quality as
that in the part cake. . . not exactly the same, but close.

David K. Leigh (254)933-1000
Harvest Technologies fax(254)298-0125
Rapid Prototyping Services dkleigh@harvest-tech.com