Re: [rp-ml] The OpenRP Initiative

From: Charles Overy <cwho_at_lgmmodel.com>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 15:05:20 EEST

Deelip,

I think this is as good a place as any to start. Thank you for your work.

I think though, that when you identify two main problems, large file size
and security, you leave a great deal unsaid. If I had a " top 10 problems
with stl"" list, security would not make it.

With your robust tool set would it not be possible to introduce a file
header that would include basic file information like..... what unit of
measure the program was drawn in? I have to stand up for my old
engineering professor who used to yell, "the answer is wrong without the
UNITS". If on translation back to stl, the OPEN RP toolset put the unit of
measure in a comment line, that would be really great.

Here is my list of things that might be included in an OPEN RP header.
Units
Part bounding box (so a program can read it before it reads the entire mesh)
Date
Program that created the mesh
UV coordinates (little out of my league here , but some method of defining
surface color or texture)
User notes
pointer to texture or color files
Standard format for nesting of multiple discrete shells or meshes within one
file.

Your work is a good start.

Charles