[rp-ml] From GIS data to STL

From: Agrawal, Sanat <sagrawal_at_tfs.ac.za>
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 16:21:13 EEST

Dear All,

We are working on getting RP prototype from geological data. We want to
make RP prototype of a catchment area (or any other landscape). What are
the GIS file formats we can use to convert it into an STL file? I find
20m resolution and 100m resolution DEM product data to have 3D
information. ArcView opens an ArcView grid file of the DEM data but it
doesn't seem to convert properly into a CGM file with 3D info. Once I
can convert into CGM or another 3D file I can use Deep explorer or 3D
object converter to convert it into STL. I remember seeing some
discussion in rpml around a year ago but I couldn't find anything in the
archive with GIS in the subject line.

My query from the list is which GIS file format is generally used for
such a purpose. I will be glad to hear from the people who have
experience in this area.

I had seen an RP part of a landscape exhibited in the RP&M expo 2003 in
Chicago. Can somebody from that RP firm or anybody who recalls about it
give me more details? We at CUT, previously known as Technikon Free
State, are working on modeling of catchment area. This will help in
water management problem of S Africa.

A member of RPML since 1996 and always hoping for the spam to go. I
didn't see any spam in the last one week. Good work by Hannu and Seppo.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Sanat

Dr Sanat Agrawal,
Faculty of Engineering,
Central University of Technology,
Bloemfontein 9301,
South Africa.
Ph: (051) 507-3537 (work) (082) 971-7769 (cell)

This e-mail is subjected to the disclaimer that can be viewed at:
* http://www.tfs.ac.za/www/disclaimer/email_disclaimer