Re: Future potential of RP

From: Bathsheba Grossman <sheba_at_bathsheba.com>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 06:19:41 EEST

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Firdaus wrote:
> I need to know what is your idea about the future potential of prototype
> and rapid prototyping technology (at least for next five years).

The largest potential at present seems to be for several companies to
put each other, and possibly themselves, out of business with
lawsuits.

Beyond that, I think the best prospects lie with direct-to-metal
processes, and others that focus on producing end-user materials.

I think the market for plastic parts at the present price level is
adequately served. Not perfectly served -- we'd all like greater
precision, less texture, and perfect geometric freedom -- but even if
those were fully solved it would be a limited market, and the largest
sectors of it would be the same sectors that are already using this
technology: mostly people who use concept models.

Or course, with a 100-fold price drop things might look different.
Such a drop is not precluded by the underlying technology, but doesn't
seem likely for business reasons. I'd look for it over the 10 to
20-year horizon.

But why do you ask?

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                                          (831)429-8224
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com