RE: some questions about RP technologies

From: Charles Overy <charles_at_lgmmodel.com>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 20:01:30 EEST

>how to transfer 3D
> > > solid model to neutral format such as STL or others

To my knowledge, there is no way, within the "accepted" stl format to
describe anything other than surface geometry. STL does not do a very good
job at that either! I will go out on a limb and say that, for various
reasons, the two efforts at color description within the STL file have, to
date, failed.

I think that yours is one of many cases that expose the inadequacy of the
STL format as the basis for RP into the future. IMHO, STL is a significant
obstacle for the continuing development of RP in new markets and new
applications.

This is something the list has debated in the past, unfortunately without
significant input from machine vendors who, for obvious reasons, need to be
significant party to any effective solution. What is the correct forum for
ongoing discussion? How might it be facilitated?

Charles
LGM