RE: powder packing density!!!

From: Scott A Schroeder <sschroeder_at_rwsc.com>
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 22:39:21 EET

Attaining theoretical (or near theoretical) densities can be extremely
difficult, if not impossible. The simple models assume that every void is
filled by every available particle of the correct size.
Obviously, this is not very likely. Also ignored are such variables as:
surface roughness, particle irregularity, true size distribution,
electrostatic and hydrostatic forces, deposition technique, powder
segregation and inhomogeneity, and subsequent processing (vibration,
compression, etc)

It is entirely possible to have two powder blends (one monosize, the other
7:1 bimodal), that show no measurable difference in final packing
densities.

Cheers, Scott

Scott A. Schroeder, Ph.D.\ phone: 805-373-4427
Rockwell Scientific Co. \ fax: 805-373-4775
1049 Camino Dos Rios \ email: sschroeder@rwsc.com
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360 \ http://www.rwsc.com

"Neil Hopkinson" <N.Hopkinson@lboro.ac.uk>
Sent by: owner-rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi