Re: molding soft urethanes.

From: Greg Pettengill (gpetteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 23:26:08 EET

Jon Broome wrote:

> Happy Holidays!
> Does anyone have thoughts on the best ways to create a mold to cast
> soft polyurethanes in order to avoid bubbles and stickiness. We're
> attempting to make urethane bushings.
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Jon Broome
> Tarleton Bull, Inc.
> 1939 W. 2nd AVE B5
> Eugene, OR 97402
>
> voice (541)687-7003
> toll Free (877) 566-5541
> fax (541) 687-9599
> cell (541) 953-7725
> jbroome@tarletonbull.com <mailto:jbroome@tarletonbull.com>
> www.tarletonbull.com <http://www.tarletonbull.com>

Jon,

Urethane rubber may not be the best choice for this application, perhaps
Silicone Rubber would be better. They are stronger and don't
deteriorate like urethane.

To eliminate bubbles the pieces should be vacuum/pressure cast.
Thoroughly mix the components to ensure the material will fully cure.

--
Best Regards
Greg Pettengill