Re: Silicon molding help needed

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 23:44:44 EET

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Jon Broome wrote:
> We are new to silicon molding and are having trouble with the silicon not
> curing uniformly (and staying gooey) where the silicon contacts the plastic
> parts. Has anyone solved this? Any assistance or directions to assistance
> wold be greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm far from the most knowledgeable person here, but nobody else
seems to be speaking up...it sounds like the material of your master
is inhibiting the cure of the mold.

Your options are pretty much: use a different master material, use a
different mold material, or put a barrier between them. Probably #1
is out. For #2, you could try different rubbers. For #3, if
tolerance is not too tight you could try shellacking the part or
something like that.

For more advice, you'd probably have to reveal the material of your
master model.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                 phone (831)429-8224, fax (831)460-1242
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com