RE: Fixing stl

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 19:17:31 EET

Tom,

If it is your own file, the best way to fix it is to beat on it with the CAD
program that you made it in. You can also do this to a limited extent in
most CAD programs that will import STL. We do it sproadically in FormZ but
looking for flipped normals and open edges can be very laborious. There
are a number of under $1000 stl fixers with some functionality. We use
Floating Point Solutions that used to be called SLT Editor. They recently
changed the name to something else.

After that you get into the big guns at arround 2K ish to 6K+. Marcam,
Deskartes, and Materialise. If you only have one file, my suggestion is to
send it out for repair and enjoy your weekend instead. Materialise has a
file repair service bureau and will give you a quote for free.

Charles Overy
LGM