Re: Please help rapid prototyping

From: Caleb Walker (caleb@kreysler.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 00:37:33 EET

Jonathan,

I have to agree that more feedback in the form of informative error messages
etc when failures do occur would be a very welcome improvement. Again as you
intimated, I don't use boolean operation as much as some but I have had fair
success when I do. The thing is that a clean model makes a clean STL mesh,
so what is really needed is more feedback from commands, more tools to
analyze or perhaps more information about ways to model correctly from the
ground up. A bad surface/solid model is not ONLY going to see problem in
downstream RP via STL, but will also have problem exporting in any format to
other pkgs. - i.e: for engineering, analysis, or CAM via IGES, STEP,
Parasolid, ACIS etc...etc. In any case for the type of modeling Grant will
be doing, Rhino will work very well & should give excellent RP results.

Caleb Walker - Lead CAD/CAM

Kreysler & Assoc.
Digital Sculpture Enlargement
Architectural Composites