Please help rapid prototyping

From: Caleb Walker (caleb@kreysler.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 00:34:50 EET

Jonathan,

There are very few modeling apps out there that can tackle that type of
precision freeform surface -Alias Studio, CATIA, UG, DelCAM PowerShape come
to mind as some of the most powerful with Rhino right up there at a fraction
of the cost - & most would agree much shallower learning curve. The top
Solid modeling pkgs. out there such as Pro-E & Solidworks just don't have
the type of complex surfacing power needed. From what I have gathered,
McNeel is working on enhanced mesh manipulation tools not enhanced mesh
creation capability - I could be mistaken. As far as the FormZ export step,
I'm afraid you lost me there. I was simply sharing my experiences with Rhino
STL export, which is basically summarized by the fact that neither my CAM
pkgs. nor any of our RP service bureaus have ever had any problem with STL
files from Rhino. Though I agree that thing's like Boolean operations &
complex filleting are areas that need work in Rhino. All in all, for the
purpose of modeling an automobile with little or no previous experience I
don't think there is any software which could beat Rhino -this type of
modeling really is it's greatest strength. If he were modeling a complex
mechanical assembly or doing character animation, I would have a different
recommendation.

Regards,

Caleb Walker - CAD/CAM - Reverse Engineering - 3D modeling

Lead CAD/CAM
Kreysler & Assoc.
Digital Sculpture Enlargement
Architectural Composites