Fixing mm or inches

From: Jonathan Chertok (chertok22@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 17:02:17 EET

List,

Is there a way to "fix" a 3D model in mm or inches?

Also, is a "conversion" simply a matter of changing the UNITS setting in the
software - if you have opened the model using the wrong units setting (say
the vendor opens the model in mm instead of the original being made in
inches) - or is it more complicated than this?

Finally, does stl file format have some kind of unit definition?

Occassionally a vendor asks me "how big" the model is, can I just tell them
to open it in "inches' or "mm's"? Or do you need to communicate something
like a X axis width or depth?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Universal Joint: Buildings + Digital Design

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
Austin, Texas [512] 407 9628

Full Service Design and Construction

Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead? Your old favorites are always
playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!