RE: New Rapid Prototyping Benchmark Study Examines 3D Printers

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 04:21:20 EET

Phil et. al.

I have looked at the idea of a decision support system (DSS) for RP
selection off and on for the last 7 or 8 years. During that time I carried
out 4 or 5 projects to investigate the issues.

Here are some of my thoughts/findings on this: -

- we felt that there were 2 kinds of DSS systems likely to be of benefit.

- The first DSS would be used to assist the novice in understanding a
little more about the technology. This could help in providing an initial
selection list for those wishing to invest in RP technology or for those
wanting independent information to assist with quotes from service
providers, etc.. This would work best in the form of a web site where
people logged in, answered a few questions and then collected the answers.
They could then try adjusting some of the parameters to see the effect from
changes. There are a lot of machines out there now and it is very difficult
to keep track of them. This is why a web-based system would be most
suitable with the flexibility to be updated as new technology becomes
available.

- The second kind of DSS would be a more detailed and probably specific to
a technology or a company setup. This kind of system would be used to
assist a bureau in making quotes, planning, etc. I saw someone use a
simplified version of this at a bureau I visited, but this system took a
lot of skill and knowledge in order to create meaningful data. The idea
here is to try and distill the expertise of the chief quoter/planner by
using Expert System shells. This would have to be tailor made for an
operation, probably made up from basic building blocks.

- Both of these would be decision support systems because, as is clear from
the recent discussion, benchmarks are very subjective and can only be used
in conjunction with other information to build a complete picture. I would
say Todd's study, along with others, is only part of a large jigsaw puzzle
that can only be put together by someone who has seen the picture on the
box. I would also say that John is perfectly at liberty not to use it, but
it may be helpful to reference such studies if you are an expert trying to
put a particular point across to a client (in the country of the blind, the
one-eyed man is king). Such studies always include caveats and I'm sure
Todd has included a number in his report (which I admit I have not seen).
No one ever makes a study like this without addressing the limitations.

- My first idea for a web based DSS seemed to me to be a potential money
making enterprise. I envisaged users logging on and paying, say, $5 for
each set of data they produced. I even developed a couple of experimental
systems that showed promise. However, when I tried to get funding to
finance the development of a proper system, I found that the funding
agencies thought that RP was sufficiently well funded already and the
industry should be able to finance itself. When I contacted the companies,
they said there was not enough money in it to make it worthwhile. However,
I did get agreement from all the major vendors to provide the basic system
information necessary for the development of the DSS. This was about 3
years ago when I looked into this seriously.

Sorry, got carried away a bit here. I suppose I'm saying that maybe it is
time to review the situation. Would anyone be interested in collaborating
with me to set up a (semi)commercial web-based DSS for RP technology selection?

IG

At 12:22 AM 11/1/2003, you wrote:
>Todd,
>
>Sorry for the delay in my response.
>
>Your offer is most kind and much of your rebuttal I agree with.
>
>Some of my points are the following, although they may ramble around a
>bit. ( it's been a long week ).
>
>The effort of disseminating information on RP, how to present the
>information, and the benefits of each technology, has been an ongoing
>quagmire when viewed as an overall process. It is obvious that as new
>technologies appear, users outside of the service providers need to be
>made aware of what their latest options and potential / real benefits are.
>Some form of helping guide decisions has been needed, and that need is
>growing.
>
>A simplistic view about the way most users approach the RP industry as a
>whole, is that much of everyday allocation of work to different
>technologies by outside designers is a seat of the pants process, or
>directly cost driven with many blind spots. As with any industry, there
>are many who have done their homework and use it wisely.
>
>My point about any statistical approach is that they are often lacking the
>needed numerous footnotes about the exceptions, exclusions, inclusions,
>explanations, deviations, etc., about each data source and what a huge
>impact, a small deviation in the test model can make, sometimes rendering
>an examined system useless for the task.
>
>This confirms your position that the amount of data to present can quickly
>become very unwieldy and confusing. To boil it down to a common
>denominator that covers the systems and reduces that data load also
>creates a tunnel vision view of the various available processes. Again the
>only way around this is lengthy explanations such as: "When evaluating
>systems, use this benchmark data as an initial selection guide. Then
>define the application and the types of parts used in the product
>development process. Evaluate the systems with the operational and output
>requirements that are important to the success of the prototyping effort.
>Finally, add the evaluation of two important criteria that were not
>reviewed in the benchmark, material properties and finishing time."
>
>The need to be objective and clear in a relatively small data set
>precludes the ability to examine the endless options available.
>Who would want to read a 20 pound book just to get at a few small details,
>albeit the importance of them?
>
>I have to applaud any individuals attempt to tackle the task of trying to
>place a common thread through so many diverse systems.
>
>A note about my experiences from both sides of the user/supplier points of
>view.
>I often find that the people who are likely to use RP have the long term
>view for their business. They will invest in using the technology to
>realize gains further down the line.
>Others (an increasing majority) who are more concerned about "what is our
> [...]

Dr. Ian Gibson

Currently on study leave at
National University of Singapore,
Dept. Mechanical Engineering
9 Engineering Drive 1
Singapore 117576
Tel: +65 6874 1917
Mob: +65 9087 3512

"Everything really is stupidly simple, and yet all around is utter confusion,
don't look around to find the sound that's right beneath your feet"