RE: New Rapid Prototyping Benchmark Study Examines 3D Printers

From: Phil Iehle (Phil@Versadyne.net)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 18:22:41 EET

MessageTodd,

Sorry for the delay in my response.

Your offer is most kind and much of your rebuttal I agree with.

Some of my points are the following, although they may ramble around a bit.
( it's been a long week ).

The effort of disseminating information on RP, how to present the
information, and the benefits of each technology, has been an ongoing
quagmire when viewed as an overall process. It is obvious that as new
technologies appear, users outside of the service providers need to be made
aware of what their latest options and potential / real benefits are.
Some form of helping guide decisions has been needed, and that need is
growing.

A simplistic view about the way most users approach the RP industry as a
whole, is that much of everyday allocation of work to different technologies
by outside designers is a seat of the pants process, or directly cost driven
with many blind spots. As with any industry, there are many who have done
their homework and use it wisely.

My point about any statistical approach is that they are often lacking the
needed numerous footnotes about the exceptions, exclusions, inclusions,
explanations, deviations, etc., about each data source and what a huge
impact, a small deviation in the test model can make, sometimes rendering an
examined system useless for the task.

This confirms your position that the amount of data to present can quickly
become very unwieldy and confusing. To boil it down to a common denominator
that covers the systems and reduces that data load also creates a tunnel
vision view of the various available processes. Again the only way around
this is lengthy explanations such as: "When evaluating systems, use this
benchmark data as an initial selection guide. Then define the application
and the types of parts used in the product development process. Evaluate the
systems with the operational and output requirements that are important to
the success of the prototyping effort. Finally, add the evaluation of two
important criteria that were not reviewed in the benchmark, material
properties and finishing time."

The need to be objective and clear in a relatively small data set precludes
the ability to examine the endless options available.
Who would want to read a 20 pound book just to get at a few small details,
albeit the importance of them?

I have to applaud any individuals attempt to tackle the task of trying to
place a common thread through so many diverse systems.

A note about my experiences from both sides of the user/supplier points of
view.
I often find that the people who are likely to use RP have the long term
view for their business. They will invest in using the technology to realize
gains further down the line.
Others (an increasing majority) who are more concerned about "what is our
bottom line" at 5:00 on Friday, will not spend the money, time, or resources
to save themselves money and effort down the line. Thus they lose money AND
market.
With business's increasing fascination with "the bottom line" and the
increasing management that lacks planning for the long haul, this makes the
task of getting RP to the front in manufacturing, R&D, and new venues a
seemingly daunting task.

I am not all gloom.. Many inspired people are finding unique and novel
applications for RP that are blossoming. I applaud them all.

Regards,

Phil Iehle
Versadyne LLC.