RE: RP and Jewelry Question

From: Jeffrey Everett (jeffery@iowatelecom.net)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 00:33:48 EET

In addition to Rod's comments, I offer the following. Back in the 1980's I
experimented with using ringless casting techniques for centrifugal
investment casting from photopolymer patterns. Phosphate based investment
does not have sufficient permeability for vacuum casting. I did have
problems with ash residue from the photopolymers available then, but
otherwise produced good castings. The investment is quite hard. I had to use
very slow burnout routines with large patterns because expansion of the
photopolymer would crack the investment. Quenching the hot flask did not
shatter it, a hammer was needed to break away the investment from the
castings, followed by a hot bath in a hydrofluoric acid replacement which I
forget the name of. All the casting supplies and materials required were
purchased from a dental supply house. I hope this helps.

Jeffrey Everett